DFW Tri Club preferred sports nutritionists can address your specific needs, such as weight control, cholesterol reduction, exercise or adopting a healthier lifestyle. Whether you are looking to get healthy, loose those unwanted few pounds or you are a endurance athlete that needs a full nutrition strategy, we can help!
Achieve your goals with our unique mix of individualized sessions with our team of professionals; customized, goal-targeted meal plans; recipe swaps; nutrition, exercise and emotional eating lectures and/or weekly weigh-ins; and post-lecture group discussions under the direction of a DFW Tri Club coaches Cristina (SEE BELOW) & Alix.
Alix Barth-Brossette (BA, NASN, NASM, CPT, PES)
Alix joins the DFW Tri Club as our preferred Sports Nutritionist in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Read more about her in her bio.
Cristina Caldwell (CISSN)
Sports nutrition is a foundation that every athlete needs to achieve success. I might go as far as to say that sports nutrition can be the deciding factor on your training improvements, strength gains, race day performance and recovery. I am very passionate about nutrition, and truly believe that good nutrition will not only make you feel better, your racing will show the proof.
I graduated from Miami University with a degree in exercise science and nutrition. After discovering a love of triathlon in 2004, I became a USAT coach. I am now a USAT level 2 coach, pursuing a graduate degree in exercise physiology and sports nutrition. I am a graduate of the International Olympic Committee’s Sports Nutrition Diploma and I am a certified sports nutritionist with the International Society of Sports Nutrition (CISSN).
Nutrition has always been a focus for me from growing up a swimmer through racing Ironman. Competing at the Division 1 level in college required a fine tuning of nutrition to maximize performance. Unfortunately, while nutrition has always been a focus, it hasn’t always been positive. My swimming career ended in college with an eating disorder. I battled Bulimia for years, thinking of food as an enemy. My goal now is to help others to see food as a fuel and something that we can use for our benefit. My nutrition philosophy is that food is not to be feared, and all foods fit in moderation. I love to dispel food myths!
I work with athletes to achieve their ideal race weight, maximize their training nutrition, achieve the right hydration status and dial in their race day fueling (no GI distress allowed). Nutrition is very personal and individualized. Not all nutrition fits with every person, so I will work with you to find out what your needs are and how you can use nutrition to meet your goals.
Performance Sports Nutrition:
Nutrition Consultation: 60 min session, $100
You know you need to make some changes in your dietary habits, but aren’t sure how. A consultation will allow you to ask specific questions like: “How much should I be eating,” “How many calories do I need,” “When should I be eating in relation to exercise,” Am I getting enough protein, etc. This session is yours to ask the questions that you need answers to, so that you can achieve your goals. You chose the direction of the conversation. You will be given a written copy of your session upon completion.
Nutrition Analysis: $250
If you’re looking for a way to increase your performance, have more energy, eliminate GI issues, recover faster, boost your immunity, or lose weight, doing a nutrition analysis will help you reach those goals.
- You will fill out a nutrition questionnaire and a 3-day food and activity log.
- Based on your activity level and goals, I will analyze your current nutrition for needed changes. You will also receive information on suggested general nutrition changes, pre-exercise and post-exercise nutrition suggestions, supplementation, information on nutrient timing, sample recipes to fit your goals and more.
- We will have a 60 minute follow up discussion on the results.
- This is the base level in my nutrition coaching and can be done on its own, but must be done before moving onto monthly coaching.
Add on: Monthly coaching– First month-$150 (total $400 first month), $250 each additional month
- For those that need additional help to achieve their performance based nutrition goals, we will continue with monthly coaching.
- You will receive additional supplemental nutrition handout and information that is tailored for your goals.
- Each month we will have 2x 45min phone conversations and unlimited email questions.
Race Day Fueling:
After training for months for a race, not having a nutrition plan can lead to serious issues come race day. Too many athletes don’t think about their nutrition, don’t go in with a plan and that can lead to some uncomfortable race conditions. If you’ve struggled with GI issues, you haven’t raced to your potential, or you don’t know what to eat during your race, a race day fuel plan will help you. Take the guess-work out of your nutrition. This plan should be done at least 8-12 weeks prior to your “A” race in order for you to practice it, and for me to make adjustments. You will be given the choice to add-on another race distance at no charge. For example, if you are racing an IM, but also are curious about fueling for a 70.3, then I will do both. If you’re running a marathon, but also running a half marathon, I will do both. A race day fuel plan will:
- Provide you with specific foods and fluids to eat before, during and after your race, based on your preferences and needs. You will be given specific times at which to eat or drink
- The plan will provide calories, carbohydrates, and sodium recommendations
Basic Fuel Plan: $150
The basic fuel plan includes:
- Comprehensive questionnaire regarding allergies, intolerances, previous race issues, current nutrition products and your goals
- 60 min phone conversation to go over the questionnaire before the plan is created
- A complete fuel plan that provides calories, carbohydrates, and electrolyte recommendations
- Dinner and breakfast pre-race
Elite Fuel Plan: $250
The elite fuel plan includes everything that the basic plan delivers, but with additional support and follow-up. Nutrition plans can sometimes need to be adjusted and manipulated. I will be there with you step by step for 6 additional weeks. The elite plan includes:
- 2x 30 min phone conversations and unlimited email in the 6 weeks following the delivery of the fuel plan
- Your plan will be changed as needed
Hydration testing is crucial to make sure you are properly hydrating during your training and racing. Proper hydration will help to increase your endurance, prevent salt depletion and hyponatremia, increase your power, eliminate cramping, and minimize heat stroke. Just a 2% decrease in body mass from dehydration can seriously impact your performance and health.
In Person Sweat testing: $150 (plus drive time)
We will meet a local park or training center where you will complete a 1-hour sweat rate and sweat composition test. The test is non-invasive and will consist of a weigh-in, a 1-hour training session wearing an absorbent patch on your forearm and then the analysis of that patch using special equipment. You will be given a customized hydration and electrolyte plan for future training and racing.
Online Sweat testing: $210
If you’re not local or do not have time to meet in person, you can have your sweat analyzed from anywhere in the country. You will have a sweat testing kit mailed to you for you to complete at your convenience. You will mail back the kit and the results will be sent to me for a creation of a customized hydration and electrolyte plan for you.
Sweat tests allow us to completely dial in your exact electrolyte and hydration needs prior to your race. These numbers allow for even better race day fuel planning. If you’d like to take all the guess work out of your caloric and macronutrient needs in your fuel plan as well, you can add on a:
Basic Race Day Fuel Plan (total cost of both tests)- In person cost- $250, Online testing- $275
Elite Fuel Plan (total cost of both tests)- In person cost- $350, Online testing-$375